Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bangkok continued....

After spending a short time in Bangkok, I've absolutely fallen in love with the city. The culture, the people, the food, the shopping and the massages, WOW! I was sad to go, but excited to go back and visit. On Sunday Grant, Jamie and I headed to Chatuchak market, the famous weekend market for anything and everything! It was a HOT day so we did not stay more than two hours but it was awesome and I can't wait to go back and buy house decor!



At the market getting our morning Kho-Pi





On Monday we headed to the famous Jim Thompson house for some site seeing and shopping. Jim Thompson is known to have put the Thai silk industry on the map. He was an American ex-Army vet who found his home in Bangkok. By the time his business became a well known name in Asia he disappeared, to this day nobody knows what had happened to him. Rumor has it that he was a former CIA agent. I bought my first "designer" bag here, a small black and grey clutch, perfect for nights out.


Tuesday, Jamie and I headed to Wat Po which is absolutely stunning. Home to the reclining Buddha, a huge and majestic Buddha measuring 138 feet long and covered completely in gold leaf. Aside from the giant Buddha, the compound is full of religious artifacts and temples, beautiful!
















Wat Po is also one of the best places in Bangkok to get a traditional Thai massage. In fact, the massage school at Wat Po is one of the oldest traditional Thai massage schools and the monks at Wat Po effectively wrote the book on Thai massage. We of course had to test this out, I had managed to get a massage everyday while we were in Bangkok, life sure is tough!


Surprisingly, the Thai massage was relaxing and refreshing, nothing that I expected, I assumed that they would bend and stretch my body into a painful state, I was wrong! After the massages we headed to view the "best" hotel in Bangkok, the Mandarin Oriental. It is a beautiful hotel! And while we also had some celebrating to do (news TBD :) ) We splurged a bit and had a lovely lunch out on the riverfront.



Literally the best Kho-pi


As Dad/Khun Don calls them "red torpedo's" HOT HOT HOT!



Mandarin Gardens


Shuttle ferry





Dinner at Grant and Caroline's, celebration and a toast! Thanks for the hospitality!

1 comment:

  1. Looks really interesting! Massages every day?!

    ReplyDelete